Conditions of use: Ownership, liability and acceptable use
This page (together with the documents referred to on it) tells you the Conditions of Use on which you may make use of our website www.mathsinthecity.com (the "Site"), whether as a guest or a registered user. Please read these Conditions of Use carefully before you start to use the Site. They govern your use of the Site and of all other www.mathsinthecity.com websites, online learning environments and discussion fora.
We may change these Conditions of Use from time to time by updating this page. You should review this page regularly. Your continued use of the Site after changes have been made will be taken to indicate that you have read and accepted those changes. You should not use the Site if you are not happy with any changes to these Conditions of Use.
1. www.mathsinthecity.com is a site operated by the University of Oxford ("we").
Accessing the Site
2. Access to the Site is permitted on a temporary basis, and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend the service we provide on the Site without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason the Site is unavailable at any time or for any period. From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of the Site, or the entire Site, to users who have registered with us.
3. You agree to use the Site only in accordance with these Conditions of Use, for lawful purposes and in a way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else’s use and enjoyment of the Site. Prohibited behaviour includes (this list is not exhaustive): harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any person, transmitting obscene or offensive content or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within the Site and impersonating another person. If you are under 18 years of age please get a parent or guardian’s permission before registering to use the Site. Please also provide a valid e-mail address of a parent or guardian to confirm this permission. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
Intellectual Property Rights
4. All copyright, logos, trade marks, database rights, design rights and other intellectual property rights (registered and unregistered) and all content located on the Site shall remain vested in us or our licensors (which includes other users). Unless specifically stated in a Creative Commons licence, which may be attached to some www.mathsinthecity.com content, you may not copy, reproduce, republish, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, download, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use www.mathsinthecity.com content in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Please read the appropriate Creative Commons licence in full before making use of the www.mathsinthecity.com content to which it applies (http://creativecommons.org and http://creativecommons.org/licenses). If you have any questions relating to reuse of content, please contact the www.mathsinthecity.com team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. You must however read these intellectual property rights as being subject to any restrictions on use applying to any materials or content on the Site including (this list is not exhaustive): photographic images, videos and text whether directly on a page of the Site or contained in a document (e.g. a PDF) accessible from a page of the Site ("Materials") or part of them such as video and photographic images which are subject to the special restrictions set out in the Creative Commons Licence ("Special Restrictions"). If you do not agree to be bound by the Creative Commons Licence or any Special Restriction then you must not use www.mathsinthecity.com Materials made available under these terms.
6. When using www.mathsinthecity.com Materials you must attribute us and any identified authors. Each part of the Materials will identify the author/owner(s) and any Special Restriction(s) applying. You must take account of and abide by any such restrictions when using any of the Materials.
Using the Site
7. If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential, and you must not disclose it to any third party. We have the right to disable any user identification code or password, whether chosen by you or allocated by us, at any time, if in our opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions in these Conditions of Use.
8. Registered users may request to have their user account removed from the Site by contacting the Site Administrator.
Uploading Material to the Site and Acceptable Use
9. Certain parts of the Site permit you to post content and information. If you do this we will take this to mean that you have read and accepted these Conditions of Use.
10. You must not use the Site or post any information:
a. which is unlawful;
b. which knowingly transmits material which contains any harmful programs designed to adversely affect the operation of computer software or hardware;
c. unless you own or have appropriate rights to use the intellectual property rights subsisting in or relating to that content and information and unless you are sure that posting the same does not infringe the rights (including but not limited to the intellectual property rights) of any other person or organisation;
d. which is or could be considered defamatory, derogatory or inappropriate with regard to us, our customers or clients or any other person or organisation;
e. which contains any confidential information about us or another person or organisation (unless you have our permission or that of the other person or organisation);
f. which contains any offensive, obscene or criminal content or any other content which may cause embarrassment to us, our customers or clients or any other person or organisation; and
g. which contains any personal data about another person including (this list is not exhaustive): names, contact details and sensitive personal data (for example, information about an identified or identifiable individual’s mental or physical health, racial or ethnic origin, religious or other beliefs).
11. For members of the University of Oxford, use of the Site is also subject to our Regulations Relating to the use of Information Technology Facilities.
12. Any material you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary, and we have the right to use, copy, distribute and disclose to third parties any such material for any purpose. We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any material posted or uploaded by you to the Site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
13. You must not access without permission, interfere with, damage or disrupt any part of the Site, any equipment on which the Site is stored, or any software.
14. No advertising, spamming, link dumping, or similar commercial activity will be tolerated; accounts breaching this condition will be suspended and/or deleted, and the offending posts removed. Additionally, your account details may be shared for future spam prevention.
14. The www.mathsinthecity.com team takes care to ensure the accuracy and currency of the information provided. However we cannot guarantee that the information contained on or available via the Site is accurate or complete and accordingly it should not be relied on as such.
15. We have the right to remove any material, content and/or information without notice and at our sole discretion and to pursue any such course of action against you that is available to us under the applicable laws if, in our opinion, such material, content and/or information does not comply with the content standards set out in these Conditions of Use. When a user account is deleted, we have the right to remove all content generated by that user from the Site.
16. The material and commentary displayed on the Site is provided without any guarantees, conditions, and warranties as to its accuracy. We therefore disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such commentary and materials by any visitor to the Site, by any registered user of the Site, or by anyone who may be informed of its contents.
17. Any arrangements made between you and any other person, either using the Site or named on the Site, are entirely at your sole risk and responsibility.
18. Information contained in or accessible via the Site is reviewed regularly and frequently. We may make improvements and alterations to the Site at any time and without notice.
19. Addresses of, or links to, other websites may appear on the Site for your convenience. We do not operate or monitor other websites and we accept no responsibility or liability for the content of other websites. Any link is not intended to be, nor should be construed as, an endorsement of any kind by us of another website.
21. We make no statement about the suitability of the content, information and services contained on, or accessed via, the Site. All warranties, terms and conditions in this regard, including all warranties, terms and conditions implied by statute or otherwise, of satisfactory quality and fitness for purpose are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. For the avoidance of doubt this includes materials accessed via links to websites (including homepages, webpages or documents they contain) operated by any other person or organisation.
22. Subject to clause 23, if you or we fail to comply with these Conditions of Use, neither of us shall be responsible for any losses that the other suffers as a result, except for those losses which are a foreseeable consequence of the failure to comply with these Conditions of Use.
23. Neither of us shall be responsible for losses that result from our failure to comply with these Conditions of Use including, but not limited to, losses that fall into the following categories:
a. loss of income or revenue;
b. loss of business;
c. loss of anticipated savings;
d. loss of data; or
e. any waste of time.
However, this clause 23 shall not prevent claims for foreseeable loss of, or damage to, your physical property.
24. This clause does not include or limit in any way our liability for:
a. death or personal injury caused by our negligence; or
b. fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
c. any breach of the obligations implied by section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 or section 2 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982; or
d. losses for which it is prohibited by section 7 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 to limit liability; or
e. any other matter for which it would be illegal or unlawful for us to exclude or attempt to exclude our liability.
25. The Internet is not a secure means of communication. E-mails may be intercepted by other people or organisations. You should not send any communication to us through the Site or by e-mail, in particular containing personal data (including sensitive personal data) and/or confidential information about you or any other person, unless you accept that any such communication is sent at your own risk and on the understanding that we would not be liable for any loss that you might suffer as a result.
Information about You and Your Visits to the Site
Linking to/from the Site
27. You may link to our homepage, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
28. You must not establish a link from any website that is not owned by you. The Site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of the Site other than the homepage. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice. The website from which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out in these Conditions of Use.
29. If you wish to make any use of Material on our site other than that set out above, please address your request to: email@example.com.
30. Where the Site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Viruses, Hacking and Compatibility
31. We do not guarantee that:
a. use of the Site will be compatible with all hardware and software;
b. use of the Site will be uninterrupted or error or virus free;
c. use of the Site will deliver any specific outcome for its users; or
d. defects on the Site will be corrected (save for those defects which we are obliged to correct by law).
32. You must take appropriate steps to ensure that you regularly check for and protect against viruses when using the Site on any device.
Jurisdiction and Applicable Law
33. These Conditions of Use are governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales. The courts of England and Wales have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with or related to visiting the Site or use of the Site.
34. If any of these terms is found to be illegal or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, the term(s) in question will be severed; but the remaining terms will continue in force.
35. If you have any concerns about Material which appears on the Site, please contact the www.mathsinthecity.com team at: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to request the removal of any Material from the Site, please follow the process outlined in our Notice and Take Down Policy.